Off Topic The Politics Thread (Previously the EU/Eurozone Chat thread)

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Bollocks <laugh>

Dan Starkey 2 likes this.
  2. LG

LG Well-Known Member

I love reading this thread. I'm often too terrified to engage but it's a very entertaining read :emoticon-0140-rofl:

redcgull, Archers Road, Ron and 5 others like this.
  3. Steveo

Steveo Active Member

I said in my post that the EU is not perfect but that it is far more preferable to remain inside it for future prosperity.
    What we are seeing is a right wing coup in the UK - Brexiteers appear to come in 2 distinct guises - there are the more intelligent right wing supporters of Brexit like yourself, who argue vociferously that the EU is doomed, that we will all be better off without them, but of course are carefully unable to say HOW this will be the case.
    Then there are the easily led and manipulated like Captain Pops on here who goes along with everything that his hero Boris says, without stopping to think that it is Boris and his right wing cronies who will be the ones benefitting frim Brexit and not himself.

The British government did get a deal but of course you and your supporters threw a tantrum and didn't like it because the EU refused to back down to what you wanted. At this point you can stop blaming Theresa May as well - the hero Boris has fared even worse with the EU. Maybe it is time you admitted that the EU hold the upper hand in negotiations as I have been saying all along ?

As far as I am aware we do trade with the rest of the world already - there has been significant Japanese investment in the UK for example.
    What a shame that when Brexit happens they will all gradually disappear, as they would prefer to have access to the larger EU market.

To annoy our European neighbours like we are doing is complete madness - these are the countries that actually want to trade with us due to their geographical position - I am not so sure that China for example are all that interested in what we have to offer them.

Government economic forecasts show that in a no deal Brexit the economy will shrink 9%, the pound will collapse, food and medicines will cost a lot more, Kent will turn into a lorry park, Scotland will want independence, and you risk ending the peace in Ireland. Please tell me why you think this is a good idea.

4. Steveo

Steveo Active Member

another right wing lie - if they wanted us to stay they would have done a better deal with us.

3 years ago Brexiteers were telling everyone that the EU would collapse. It hasn't and the Euro is much stronger against the pound.
    Please tell me why the UK is the only out of 28 countries who actually want to leave the EU ?

5. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Heseltine: imposing no-deal Brexit 'intolerable' attack on democracy

Tarzan clearly has totally lost the plot.

No Deal without the consent of parliament would be “an intolerable position for democracy”.

Is that a different ‘intolerable’ to the parliament whose MPs voted 486-160 Remain ignoring the electorate voting 17.4m-16.1m Leave, the 148-84 Leave vote in Labour constituencies and the 247-80 Leave vote in Conservative constituencies?

As five-sixths of the UK population live in England, on a national vote what England votes wins. The liberal left have spent the last three years trying to blame the victory of Leave on racist, xenophobic imperialist English nationalists. Perhaps they need to take a long hard look at their own ranks, the high and mighty of the media and academia; and the rich graduates running corporate Britain. The English no longer feel that the Establishment position represents them.

6. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Court hears fresh challenge to Johnson's no-deal Brexit

I am not sure what makes Scottish Remoaners think that a decision in the Scottish court can have any impact on the UK Parliament in London. Scottish law does not apply in England.

Jolyon Maugham says, “A man with no mandate seeks to cancel parliament for fear it will stop him inflicting on an unwilling public an outcome they did not vote for and do not want.
    That’s certainly not democracy and I expect our courts to say it’s not the law.”

We can presume that the ‘unwilling public’ in this instance is in Scotland as a ComRes poll shows that more people back a No Deal Brexit on 31st October nationally than support any Remain option. It seems the people do want it and if electioneering Boris calls a General Election for early November, the lunatic official Opposition are not going to object as they need a vote before they have haemorrhaged away tens of thousands more members disillusioned with their Far Left London-centric leadership. Many may not like Boris but his siding with the people act seems popular with the people...

7. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

In the deluded world of Remain, there is still this theory that the EU can be reformed. Cameron believed it even after they gave him the feeble set of conditional concessions before the EU Referendum. Brown and Major believe it because they were the cretins that signed the two Treaties that should have just been consigned to the bonfire. If the EU does a good deal with us and we prove to be successful, others will want out too.

The Project will not pay for itself, half of the member states of the EU used to be under the yoke of Communism and they joined to get the handouts, the Southern half of Europe has been bankrupted by the EU and the Euro – a currency without a country – is ultimately doomed to failure just like every previous attempt at creating a European common currency.

The Euro is not “much stronger” against the pound. It is weak and the pound has been allowed to devalue by the Bank of England because Theresa The Appeaser sold out the British negotiating position in her efforts to keep us an EU supplicant.

We want out because we have seen the direction of travel towards a federal United States of Europe that can never work. Pretty much every claim that is made about the benefits of the EU is a bare faced lie. Apparently there has been peace in Europe since 1945 because of the EU. For forty of those years, half of what is now the EU was under Soviet control and it was NATO that kept them from taking the rest.

8. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

The British government got a bad deal because that was Theresa May’s objective – BRINO (Brexit In Name Only).

Boris has come to the game with the clock at five to midnight with the May-bot having squandered all of the available time. Since it seems obvious that the EU are not going to change their position this late in the day, walking away is the only option. The EU were gifted the upper hand by the totally incompetent way that Brexit negotiations were handled.

Japanese investment was probably a bad choice of example on your part as you may not have noticed that having struck a deal with the EU, the Japanese are systematically ending European car production as they can ship cars into Europe.

At present when we trade with non-EU countries, we are required to charge import tariffs on their goods and pass that money along to Brussels. The EU creates higher prices on goods from outside the EU. When we leave the EU we can drop import tariffs on goods that present no threat to British industry and make them cheaper.

9. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

for an economist , you miss some very basic stuff, in order to buy said imports , don’t people need spending money ? in case you hadn’t noticed what’s left of “ british “ industry is declining , the so called service sector , is now bigger economically than manufacturing!
    all smoke and mirrors , funny how the germans still make stuff and sell it all over the world , don’t see them rushing to create a service economy , do you ?

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We used to be good at making chairs (in Wycombe) - hence the nick name The Chairboys. I had a Chairboys T-Shirt but my missus chucked it out the other day because it had seen better days :steam:

rudebwoy likes this.

11. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

used to make loads of things not so long ago , make lies and deceit very well though !!

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If we do exit without a deal, I hope it is a positive decision as opposed to falling out

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

15. gazboy

gazboy Well-Known Member

Riddle me this - - - - you are in court, you plead guilty get found (shock horror) guilty then you appeal the decision.

Now if this had been thon Labour mp who blamed a ruski 3000 miles away for her speeding ticket then its to be expected. But, fear ye not, this is a snp mp prepared to change her mind after judgement. WTF

16. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

What is wrong with having an opinion? Why is it that people love to play this 'race card." Absolutely nothing to do with racism and is just his "too the point" opinion in todays ridiculously PC world. I think other points in the article need to be read too!

Love his opinion on Juncker though (sorry Drunker). Made me smile..:emoticon-0100-smile

17. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

A ridiculous conspiracy theory going around is that the world’s stock markets are being manipulated by some bloke who puts out good news one day ( perhaps about a trade deal with China) so share prices go up, then a few weeks later tweets that a trade war was on the cards (with China), so prices go down . Not only that but he does it several times. Thankfully we can be sure this a ridiculous idea as that man is a bastion of probity, he’s the President of the USA.

Archers Road likes this.
  18. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

In the 90s a group of friends and I were out in Liverpool. We got refused to go into a club and the bouncers got aggressive, we simply moved on. The Police then came and followed us down the street itching for us to cause a problem. I had a bottle which i discarded. Several of us got arrested and my charge sheet said I threw the bottle at a Police officer, utter bollocks. I ended up in court, i was advised to plead guilty and it would be a £100 fine. I could of pleaded not guilty but it may of then went to a crown court, the fine could of got a lot bigger, I could of got community service, large solicitors bill etc etc. My friends did go not guilty and ended up with £2k compensation as these 4 or 5 Policeman got caught out nicking people for nothing over several years and lost their jobs.
    The riddle, too many people in UK are more or less forced to plead guilty of which they are not.

floridaspearl likes this.
  19. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Bustino74 likes this.
  20. Steveo

Steveo Active Member

You are contradicting yourself.
    In your previous post you explained that the EU would not give us a good deal, as it would encourage other member states to also leave.
    Therefore the BRINO deal negotiated by the Theresa May government is as good as it is going to get, don't suddenly make excuses for Boris being late to the party.
    After all the only reason that he has been installed as PM is because the party faithful thought that he would be the only one to get a new renegotiated deal. Alas he seems even more clueless than May.

Regarding the Japanese as you have said they have "struck a deal with the EU". Not the greatest moment to be leaving the EU then is it ?
    Were we to remain in the EU they would not have moved car production out as quick as they will with a no deal scenario.

Our biggest trading partner remains the EU - a lot of food will therefore cost more and at the same time the pound will be weaker.
    That is an unavoidable truth - yes I am sure that you will be able to get your cheap chlorine chicken from the US - I would prefer not to eat that thanks.