Off Topic The Politics Thread (Previously the EU/Eurozone Chat thread)

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Jul 22, 2016.

1. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

What's their position on Brexit Rudey? It's still unclear..blatantly trying to position themselves to not upset people..Tom Watson is I understand going to deliver a message today that the party should campaign to remain which is in stark contrast to Corbyns message of confusion.

Assuming a general election happens they are gonna lose a lot of votes. Traditional down to earth folk in labour heartlands wont like this 'trying to fudge something' and confusing message/limp trying to please everyone. It's going be their undoing and will serve them right. Corbyn deep down is anti EU anyway which makes the whole thing farcical...

2. CaptainPops

He was convicted 25 years ago in a French court and has always denied it..do you not believe in the rehabilitation of people even if you believe he did do it? He s been knighted for outstanding services to cricket not leading some women's lib organisation! Lol. Well deserved in my view and typical of today s wet/do gooder society that we have someone come out to speak out against it and talk about this conviction of 25 years ago that has nothing to do with his services to cricket.

3. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

Seems clear to me , a new deal negotiated to leave on lexit terms , then a referendum on approval or not .
    What's wrong with that ?

4. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

The whole Brexit show needs re scripting, the case for the European business club membership and the one against, not the current framing of control, sovereignty, and some nonsense about demoracy, which doesn't exist here anyway .
    Labour supporters ,and many tories don't support Brexit, some want out on different terms , only the liberals, or light tories want nothing to change with Europe relationships, but then ,they're the middle classes who've benefitted from the exercise.
    Us workers have been impoverished by all , our govt, the EU and the capitalist system they are wedded too.
    Fck casual labour, ditto zero hours , long working weeks, low pay ,poor conditions, poverty pensions, and attacks on services .

5. CaptainPops

Not clear to me. Tom Watson the deputy leader is saying labour should campaign to leave as is Emily Thornberry and others in the party.

Corbyn has said labour will campaign with the option to leave or remain. Therefore the two are at odds.

Labour supporters will see right through this if they do not nip it in the bud and will see it as a party that can not be trusted. Some labour supporters will feel betrayed as when they voted to leave that meant a clean break with no deal.

6. CaptainPops

Also in the Guardian this morning:
    More than half of British adults believe the result of the 2016 referendum should be respected, and Brexit delivered, says a new poll.

Fifty four per cent agree the referendum result should be respected, the survey by ComRes found. Just 25 per cent disagreed and 21 per cent didn’t know. Of those who voted Remain in 2016, more than a third (35 per cent) said they now wanted Brexit delivered.

So the likes of Thornberry..Watson who are making louder noises about campaigning for remain and of course the Lib Dems outright for remain...not really aligned to public opinion if you go along with that poll...

7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

You might want to wait until after the Labour Conference later this month to learn what Labour Policy is, rather than believing the disinformation put out by the media.

rudebwoy likes this.
  8. Archers Road

Poor old Lester Piggot got prison and lost his knighthood for financial skullduggery. Geoffrey Boycott gets a knighthood despite having battered 7 bells out of his partner (for which he got a suspended sentence).

I don't really care if Boycott gets a knighthood or not. I don't regard wife beating as being less serious than tax fraud though, and I don't consider anything about the bloke "refreshing".

stick and Ron like this.
  9. Steveo

Steveo Active Member

got to agree with you here - Labour's position is still not clear, never has been and never will be with Corbyn in charge

10. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Treated myself to just over a week on the lash and have now completed my two day 'dry oot'. So pleased to see that sweet f**k all has changed!

After I start to listen to the political and current affairs wireless 'phone-ins' might rejoin the fray.

Mornin' all!

LG and Archers Road like this.

11. LG

LG Well-Known Member

Proroguation of parliament illegal. Oh dear.

12. LG

LG Well-Known Member

Sorry unlawful

13. Steveo

Steveo Active Member

dictators don't take notice of trivialties like that

LG likes this.
  14. LG

LG Well-Known Member

Six weeks in, six votes lost, majority lost, 21 MPs lost (or is that 22), found to have lied to the Queen. Good old Boris.

Ron, Archers Road and Chaninbar like this.
  15. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Scottish judges will soon be described as 'Enemies of The People'.

'Number 10' has just called the three judges 'politically biased'.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 1:06 PM
  16. CaptainPops

Fingers crossed for a clear message but I predict one that tries to keep everyone happy whilst the likes of Watson and Thornberry in labour continue with their ideas of remaining in the EU.

You have heard Thornberry being interviewed recently haven't you? Very much remain. Maybe she will jump ship to lib dems soon..:emoticon-0148-yes:

17. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

18. Archers Road

Thornberry won’t jump ship - she’s 100% Labour.

But I accept that the Labour position on Brexit will be nuanced, and that could prove costly as the Media don’t really do nuance.

Labour will try to fight this election on austerity, closing the gap between rich and poor, workers rights, the NHS and state ownership of public utilities. All the other parties will try to make this a single issue election. We’ll see which approach chimes with the public.

19. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Careful rudebwoy, if you go any further to the Far Left, you will fall off the edge of the world. <laugh>

20. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

We should put you on trial in front of a French kangaroo court. Firstly, you are assumed guilty until proven innocent – the opposite of the British legal system.

According to Sir Geoffrey, his now ex-partner offered to drop the case for a million pounds, which he says that he would not have given her if he had it at the time.

When he went on Radio 4’s Today program, all Martha Kearney wanted to ask him about was the old court case, not the reason that he had been knighted. I am surprised that they did not invite the woman on as well to comment to give it balance. Perhaps they are saving that for a lunchtime on Test Match Special at The Oval.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. Steveo